Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Pretend Mainstream

A semi-friend, Amy, just told me I’m mainstream. I distinctly remember her high-pitched condescending bitch of a voice saying, “Ewww, you’re so mainstream!” To a tone like that you can give nothing but a vehemently strong denial, yes?

That’s exactly what I gave.  In hindsight, there’s nothing really wrong with being “mainstream”, as she puts it. So I like popular music. I like popular movies. I like what other people like. Why pretend otherwise? For all  I know she can shove her pretense of elitism and sophistication up her ass and have her listen to a full two minutes of overbearing Ke$ha music, which I actually like as a matter of fact.

What is it with people who pretend to be so different, so indie anyway? Take note of the operative word pretend. I really have nothing against people who has the natural and all too spontaneous preference for the odd and otherworldly…but really, to claim a title for yourself and move every muscle toward that goal? I would say it’s pathetic, but even that is too popular a word. So I’m going to say….I…I don’t even have the word for it. I am so fucking mainstream.

No comments:

Post a Comment